SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruiser's Biggest Provisioning Surprises...
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Cruiser's Biggest Provisioning Surprises...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
Brian, I would love that link and will pass it along, thank you.
This is the recipe we used:

Chicken and Rice Dog Food Recipe - Homemade Dog Food

We did it both ways (using the boild quarters and raw thighs). But the easiest way for cruisers os probably to buy canned chicken. You can get canned chicken (already cooked) in very large quantities at Costco and it is relatively cheap. This keeps you from having to go through as much trouble with boiling the auarters or the things and cutting them up, etc. FOr cruisers, as you know, rice keep easy and is dirt cheap. SO make a large portion of rice and leave in a disposable container (or separate into ziplock backs of the correct portion for easy feeding). Then just mix in the chicken fromthe can unless you want to use the cooked chicken recipe. Our only other change was that we took out the egg shells. Fatty didn't like them and they make a crappy mess!! You can add in a Calcium product if you are worred about it (I think it was Citrocal, but I cannot remember... white jar with I think a blue label). All of this is on the site. Last thing I would change is I would get the dog used to eating it cold or close to cold. Again, for cruisers, this is a big plus. Just take the time to slowly get them used to it.

Brian

PS We also added the Dinovite, but bought the large bag. Introduce that SLOWLY... or be ready to pick up a lot of yucky poop!

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook