SailNet Community - View Single Post - Delaware River May 2013
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Re: Delaware River May 2013

The double dash line is the channel, about 15ft depth off the green and through the gap between island and land then in the river more than 40ft. The entrance is buggy but clears as you get further in.

The route you have marked is through Cohansey Cove, a good place to wait for a favorable tide, but buggy June through August if the air is still. Also a great place to see a dark night sky and the milkyway.

Hancock Harbor is a very quiet place during the week and only a bit less quiet at the weekend when the restaurant is open (BYOB). The town of Greenwich, a long long walk away is even quieter and has some structures including a meeting house from the 1600's. Not much has happened apart from the collapse of the fishing industry in the early 1900's along the Cohansey since the 1600's and it is miles across the wetlands to any major highways.

The Cohansey is a beautiful place, hawks, eagles, turtles, heron and I am told sturgeon.

I will be at Cohansey a few time this year so I am OK with through the canal to Chesapeake City on Saturday.

Ship John Shoal Light is almost 25 nm from Delaware City, 50 nm round trip, a long day at my typical 3 to 4 knots, so maybe another time. Its about 5 nm from the Cohansey.

Hancock Harbor is $1.00/ft, has gas and diesel, and clean but 1950's era bathrooms and showers.

It is possible to anchor in the Cohansey but in more than 40ft with a swift current.

Last edited by Ulladh; 01-22-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook