SailNet Community - View Single Post - Volvo MD 2B
Thread: Volvo MD 2B
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Re: Volvo MD 2B

My friend, be very careful.

If it "just" needed the head gasket, then why has he not done it? How can he be sure it's a head gasket and not the cylinder base O-rings?

I have the Volvo MD17C, the later 3-cylinder version.

On the picture you include, I notice what appears to be a stainless steel (?) exhaust manifold. That caught me off-guard as it is not an original equipment item.

If you have coolant in the oil, then the cooling system has breached. That happened to me, and it turned out to be the cylinder base O-rings on one of the cylinders. We had to pressure test all three barrels to find it, which meant having to take all three off.

Volvo want about $75 for the O-ring kit for a single liner.

Remember that you will also need a gasket set for the exhaust manifold. They are expensive.

Make sure you budget for all these items.

At the outside, you need to be thinking of about perhaps $200 for gaskets and you have to be sure you have found the leak.

If and when you take the cylinder heads off, look at the coolant levels you see there. If one (or both) of them is not at the top of the liner, then you have a cylinder base leak.

Personally, I would not touch it. I have been caught, and caught badly, by hearing (and trusting) that something "just" needs done.

The last lesson for that (not with an engine), cost me 72 days to fix.

Last edited by Rockter; 01-23-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook