SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thermal imaging cameras for checking decks and hulls for moisture
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Thermal imaging cameras for checking decks and hulls for moisture

I'm with the others, above; I don't see how a thermal imaging camera would do anything for you. On a house, you heat it or cool it (internally) and after there is enough time for the interior to reach some approximation of stasis, you scan the outside to look for places where there are temperature differentials (this allows you to, for example, see where the insulation was left out of a wall). But on a boat, you a) don't have an internal, consistent heat source, and b) you aren't really concerned about heat loss. I'd be really curious to see what the guy with the gun sees. Is he looking at the exterior of the boat and looking for areas where the hull, having been heated by the sun, is different temperatures?

I would think an ultrasound imager, like they use on pregnant mothers, would be a better choice for nondestructive testing. It would "see" differences in density and allow you to visualize the problems inside the hull. Of course, you'd have to buy the ultrasound machine, train the operator, and then pay the operator to stand there and scan the entire hull. With the 6-8" wide transducers that I've seen, scanning a 30-40' boat's hull would be a LONG process!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook