SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1990 38' Jeanneau 1100 Espace, wanting to take the plunge?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: 1990 38' Jeanneau 1100 Espace, wanting to take the plunge?

Interesting boat.. I've noticed her before on YW..

Briand is a recognized designer so the hull is probably a decent one. She looks well cared for in the pictures but you really need a first hand look to be sure (and to know that the pictures reflect the current state of affairs)

One thing about any 'pilothouse' style boats is that the steering station below necessarily takes away from space that a non pilothouse boat of similar size would put to better use. This often creates 'crowding' in boats under say 40 feet. I think with this one you really need to get on board to see how well that arrangement actuallyworks.

She won't be the 'prettiest' girl at the dance, the house is a bit odd looking to my eye but YMMV... for me the 'row-away' factor is quite low for this boat. However there seems to be some practical features too, and if everything works it's relatively well equipped.

She has a self tacking jib setup.. together with the pilothouse feature that's a pretty good shorthanded/foul weather setup - so for much of the year a pretty decent PNW boat.

If this is the type of boat you're after it's probably worth a look.. do keep in mind that unusual/rare boats will always suffer a bit of a resale penalty - on the flip side the same statement applies to the current seller....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook