SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road
Re: Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunfeld View Post
I've been doing research on three boats that interested me, a Tayana 37, Crealock 37, and a 1976 Cabo Rico Tiburon.

I asked the question which to buy here at Sailnet and received a lot of great responses. However, responses by two sailnet members warned me that these boats are "tired" and could well cost a lot to make them serviceable.

My goal was to buy a bluewater boat for around $50K and at least get a couple of years of good sailing on the Sea of Cortez without having to sink a lot of money into the boat right away.

I'm well aware that boats need maintenance just like any complex system but am I being unrealistic to think that I can buy a 70's boat in good repair and that a survey will uncover all potential costly repairs so that I may avoid them?
I think you can definitely buy a boat in that price range that is serviceable. And, I imagine that there are many 70's boats have been either very well maintained or updated so they will provide lots of great use. That said, I don't think there is a chance in hell that you will find one of the boats you mentioned, at that price, in the condition you describe. Any one of those boats in good+ shape will cost more than that -- in excellent shape (not requiring anything) they will cost much more. Finally, I'd say surveys help avoid the big stuff, they are not perfect and boats *always* cost money.

There are some other boats that are also capable that might be cheaper/ more "bang for your buck". Allieds, Cape Dories, some Pearsons, older Bristols and plenty of others or similar style that have less pedigree than those you named but also smaller price tags.

Luck
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook