SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1976 Pearson 26
Thread: 1976 Pearson 26
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road
Re: 1976 Pearson 26

I have a Pearson 26 One Design. There were many more standard P 26's built. The standard boat has a raised cabin roofline just aft of the mast for a little more headroom inside and the cabin itself is a little longer toward the aft of the boat, reducing the cockpit size somewhat. Other than that difference, they are both built hell-for-stout. The hull is solid fiberglass while the deck is cored with wood in many places. Think of the deck of the boat being built like a sandwich...thick fiberglass is the bread (outside deck and interior liner) and wood core is the meat. My deck in the mast base area is THICK...more than two inches. Anywhere there is a piece of hardware attached to the deck or cabintop is a potential place for water to leak past the fastener and get into the wood core causing rot. The chainplates are another place to look for water intrusion into the core and bulkhead. Rudder bearing and rudder post are another problem area with P 26's, unless they have been overhauled already (many have) but it's not a hard job to update. Look for soft squishy areas in the cockpit floor where the rudder head attaches to rudder post. Also look for squishy spots around the mast base, bow pulpit mounting points, and cabintop. By all accounts they are solid and safe boats. I'm replacing a rotten bulkhead in mine currently. Water intrusion is about the only thing that will cause serious problems. Also check the bilge for rusty keel bolts. That could be a sign of something problematic.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook