SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why I like a full keel
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Why I like a full keel

I would argue that the probability of catching a line is more dependent on the specific design of the boat than its keel type. As a broad generality, it would be easy to argue that it is equally probable to catch a line on a full keel boat as on a fin keel boat. Its about the geometry. On a full keel the propeller is closer to the bottom of the keel and a line being dragged will lay back along the side of the full keel with now where else to go, and therefore have a greater percentage of a chance of getting caught.

On a many fin keels, the leading edge angle is similar to that of a full keel, yet the line is more likely to miss the prop since there is a longer distance between the root and the keel tip and there is a greater separation between the keel and the prop.

Now then, if you are talking about some of the newer vertical edge fins with bulbs on the bottom, or a fin keel with a sail drive, those designs probably are more prone to getting a line in their prop.

And yes I know that full keel types still believe the old saw that full keels do not catch lines, or foul their props, or damage their rudders as easily, but that does not make those superstitions true.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook