SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired

I too think you are potentially setting yourself up for heartache.

As others have mentioned, a survey is no guarantee. Consider this: On the best of days, a surveyor is going to have maybe 10-12 hours to go over the boat with a careful eye. Unless the boat has been completely emptied, then that time will also include moving stuff around to try and gain vantage points from which to assess whether or not systems meet safety requirements and their overall condition. The bigger the boat, the more crunched that time becomes. Sometimes (dare I say often?) issues will go unnoticed. To put it in perspective, I'm still finding things that were undoubtedly wrong when I purchased our boat in 2008 -- and that's even after we lived aboard for two years, to include doing the Great Loop. The best you can realistically hope for is that the big ticket items show their heads during the survey, and that your surveyor is sufficiently experienced to recognize them. I guess what I'm trying to say here is to do your best to find the absolutely very best surveyor(s) you can to do your survey(s), but don't expect miracles from him/her/them.

Am I saying that your desires are unobtainable? No, but you will need to devote a massive amount of time & energy into your search and you will need to have a fair amount of luck to be at the right place at the right time -- a boat which meets all of your criteria will not be on the market for long, and may never even make it into a listing service like YachtWorld before it is snapped up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook