SailNet Community - View Single Post - Calculating true wind
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Calculating true wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
The reality is that the speed and course over ground will give you a closer to real True wind, in other words the wind that you would feel if you are anchored.

But for most sailing applications, and more specifically oddly enough for most racing applications, the instruments produce a "true wind" which is really a wind velocity that is not corrected for current, in other words, the wind that you would feel if you were drifting with the current.

Both are useful tactically but neither are extremely useful for sail trim or even for sail selection.
Sorry, a bit confused.

If the wind instrument is working on its own, then the wind speed you are reading is pure apparent speed, nothing to do with true. The only time the wind in this condition can be considered true is if the boat is guaranteed to be stationary i.e. anchored. The true and apparent become one. As soon as the boat begins to move in any direction, the wind is apparent and not true.

Only if a boat speed indicator is working in the same NMEA system with the wind speed and direction can the readings be vectored to produce true wind speed. And the calculation of true wind speed done by the wind instrument and the boat speed indicator working together has no reference to course or heading or any other such dimension.

How do I know this? I had a protracted argument years ago with Sailing Dog who successfully proved that I was wrong and the correct answer is as outlined above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook