SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing Lake Champlain
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing Lake Champlain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinghy View Post
Hi

Are there specific areas of the lake which are NOT recommended for (quite) small sailing craft?
I recently spoke to someone who gave the impression that the concentration of bass boats, water skiers, motor boats in general increases the further south one goes down the lake. Is that accurate? Are some sections more "sail friendly" than others? Where are they?
We sailed for more than a decade out of Charlotte Sailing Center(not sure of it's name today). Lake Champlain is big enough that you don't get the same effects dinghy sailing that we did on some of the smaller lakes in Vermont(we used to live there).

Think of it as more of a cruising area and take advantage of moving your dinghy over the road. Get up to Valcour Island area, that's fantastic. Explore Kinglsand Bay by dinghy. Trailer up to Willsboro Bay.

It narrows pretty quickly below Westport but still fun water to explore(I did a lot of that by canoe).

The broad lake would be the least entertaining I think as it's a good distance from interesting coastline for you to enjoy. Then again, it's only 10+ miles across so if you're adventuress,...

It's a beautiful area to sail.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook