SailNet Community - View Single Post - What are your other passions?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road
Re: What are your other passions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
I don't understand the question!
Ha! That was my first thought. Who has time for other "passions"? Oh yeah, people with newer boats than mine!

I don't really have time for much of anything else. In the summer time I'm sailing, and doing boat projects, either maintenance, repairs or upgrades. In the winter, I bring projects home. I like to do my own splicing (all types of line) and this year I'm starting to mess around with sailmaking/modifying (re-cutting the dinghy sail).

I'm also a big fan of college football and Ohio State in particular. In the fall, most Saturdays are occupied with watching games. I try to make it out to Columbus catch a game in person every couple of years or so. It's not so much of an activity, but if you don't think it's a passion, come watch a game with me, especially if a ref blows a call!

In the past I was in to aviation. Like a lot of sailors I meet, I got my private pilots license and had some hours toward an instrument rating. I have about 150 hours total, mostly in Piper's, but haven't flown since the weekend before 9/11. They shut down the airspace system and I decided that would be a good time to take a break from flying for a while and in the mean time, a friend invited me along as crew in some round the cans racing on Lake Erie. I don't think I have to explain how the rest of the story goes, I'm sure it's a common theme.

Academically I enjoy learning about new topics in optical physics and imaging. That's my line of work and enjoy it quite a bit. I also like reading non-fiction about history, medieval Europe and military history in particular. I really enjoy reading naval fiction from the age of sail. I've read the Hornblower series by Forrester and I just finished "The Nutmeg of Consolation" by O'brien.
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook