SailNet Community - View Single Post - can I afford to continue sailing
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013

SailingJackson is on a distinguished road
Re: can I afford to continue sailing

There's a famous quote:

"If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it" is commonly attributed to J. P. Morgan in response to a question about the cost of maintaining a yacht

But recently I read an op-ed piece that suggested the quote is misinterpreted. The common interpretation of this is that you need to have a lot of money to keep a boat. The editorial suggested that the point of it was more about how you value boating, not how much money you have. For those of us who have the urge (disease?), there is simply no question, we're going to be out on the water. It may be a super yacht or it may be a kayak, but we're going to do it.

Remember there is no such thing as a practical boat, unless it's a work boat. All pleasure boating is impractical. In the same sense, there is no such thing as an affordable boat if you don't value boating.

I will disagree with those in the thread who would argue against your wife's viewpoint. I think that would only increase friction. My opinion is to keep the peace and get a boat that costs less to maintain. Working longer hours in order to keep the boat is not logical, it would end up taking away from sailing time. Going into debt is even worse.

G. J.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook