View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Delaware River May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Dave,

So what are the tidal conditions leading to the Reedy Island anchorage? Are you able to ride the current through the C&D canal west to east? Is the Delaware River ebbing when the exit the C&D canal to go to Reedy Island?

The few times I went down the Delaware Bay, I anchored in Chesapeake City and made the run from there, heading east south of Mish Maull Shoal Lighthouse into the shallows to get out of the channel and current when the flood starts.
Sorry for the length

Funny I dont usually worry about the C&D Canal current when headed to Cape May from the Patapsco as my goal is Reedy Island which is about 5 miles south of the south jetty of the Canal on the Delaware side. I am willing to slog into the curent in the Canal to set up my next day to go easily.

We have made the 54 miles from our slip aty the end of the Patapsco to Reedy anchorage is as little as 8 hours and as long as 11 depending on our luck from the Sassafrass through the Canal currents. Its 51 miles from Patapsco to Delaware. Then 5 more to the Reedy Anchorage, If you have to fight current its no more than 1.5 hours.

When heading to the Reedy Island Anchorage head toward the 5R. At this head 230 degrees for .8 miles. Wikk take you to a red 1 asnd green 2, both on the end of rockpiles. Go between the two with power as the current is swift ( depts 12-15 ft at low). We then head north to get behind the low lying island. You can anchor in 22 to 12 ft of water avoiding where the cable areas are. This anchorage will prorect you from any easterly compnent of waves and chop and depending how close to the island from southerly also. It also takes you outof the tanker wakes. You can also anchor close to the land ( we use the church steeple) in 12 feet if the ind is from the N or W components.

Here it is advisable to set a kellet if you dont have a lot of chain to keep you anchor line from wrapping when the tide/ current changes direction. It can be unnerving if youve never anchored in tidal before as the current overides the wind, so you may have wind down the companionway hatch for 6 hours.

From Reedy to the entrance of the Cape May Canal is 30 miles. We can go through the Cape May Canal as we are 53 ft and the height of the bridge is 55 ft. We leave the Reedy Anchorage 1 hour before slack and can do the whole ride down with the current usually taking 5 hours tops to the Cape May Canal entrance. It gives us a good ;afternoon/ evening in Utsches in Cape May. ( OUr next day is a 4:30 AM to 6 PM run of 85 miles to Barnegat Inlet.) We usually cut toward the Cape May Canal starting at Ship John Shoal light and head 133 degrees never coming close to Miah Maul. You have to watch a little for occasional fish traps close to Egg Island Point, but after that its 16-20 ft almost all the way to the Canal.

Heading back from Cape May to the Chessie you can catch a good 7 hour tidal run, so we havent ever had to anchor at Reedy that direction and can usually get at least to the Sassafrass River.

Chesapeake City. I have had good experience and crazy ones so I usually avooid it. It has nice restaurants and a nice town, but the anchorage is usally full of 17 ft powerbopats with no scope of enough enchor down. At the back of the anchorage where the road is, there is actually a 3 knot current sucking you that way. I have always been on edge anchoring there becasue of the lack of knowledge as well as small anchor basin. I have taken a dock slip for cheap and it was actully enjoyable, but on the way on the way to Cape May Reedy is really our destination as it makes the next day ( if you can call that stretch) a lot easier. The canal is beginin except for the go fast boats who have flat water and no speed limit on the canal rocketing around the corners there. They leave no wake, but are on you wuickly.

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 01-24-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook