SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Contest/Game - Identify this picture

639K views 5K replies 130 participants last post by  obelisk 
#1 ·
It has been a while since I've seen a thread like this - the rules are simple: attempt to identify the location of the last posted picture in the thread. Once the picture poster confirms the first correct responder that person then gets to add a (sailing-related) picture to the thread and the game continues.

Since I'm no good at this type of guesswork my only chance of getting a picture into the thread is by starting it off with the following picture:

(click on picture to expand)​

See less See more
#2,313 ·
Well you should have shouldn't you ? :)

Alternatively you could, depending on your attitudes find a thread and hurl some insults at either Jones or Brenda, use the word Liberal in a disparaging fashion or even , and I do urge caution if you take this rather radical path .... go and discuss something sailing related.

Anywho ... lack of post count is a rather minor speed bump .

#2,314 ·
What people do here is to upload the picture in some public sharing interface (panoramio, pinterest, photobucket, imageshack, yo name it) and then link it to the post.

What I've learned for sailnetters is to upload my pictures to my website and then link it to the post using "insert image" button.

Good luck!!!
DJL

#2,315 ·
my complaint would be that from the first picture there is no defineing detail and in the pacific northwest there are many places that resemble that image. I request that from now on all contest pix must have a defineing characteristic that will distinguish without a doubt the location.

2 cents
B

#2,317 ·
I know that some of the pics have been pretty vague but in every instance someone has eventually worked it out, so the system (if you can call it that) seems to function tolerably well.

Play along for awhile, you might well find that you do get the hang of it.

#2,316 ·
Neilsty ... where did the pic come from ? Your computer or on the net ?

If on the net you need to right click and 'view image' . this should leave you with an URL that ends in .jpg. Next selct and copy the URL then paste it into the box that opens when you click on that postcard looking symbol 'insert image'.

If on your computer the best way to handle it (cos lets face it the Sailnet image thing is rubbish) would be to get yourself a PhotoBucket, Flickr or similar account and post from there.

PM me if you need more help. Once you get it sorted it is relatively easy from there on in. Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can.

#2,319 ·
I understand, but my point is what proof is there that the answer is in fact the correct answer that identifies the location of were the pix was shot but not of the posting entities interpertation of were the pix was taken. I have often looked at old pix that I have taken and been mistaken as to the location until my error is pointed out to me. Don't you think that the contest pix need an anchor point that cannot be misinterpreted even by accident?

#2,321 ·
Your points are valid but we tend to go along with the OP's answer. To date I don't think we've ever had a disagreement over the final answer. It does seem to all work out in the end. Remember this all pretty light hearted, nothing overly serious and you don't even get a prize when you do win. :)

#2,326 ·
There are several things in that picture that make me think it's in England. It looks like one of the little drying harbours in Cornwall... but I've been in most of them and don't recognize it - maybe I'm just getting old and my memory is playing tricks on me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.