SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beating to windward
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Beating to windward

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Hi Faster- How do you judge the "slot". When do you judge time to reef v. time to flatten the main v. time to just foot a little. What parameters do you use to judge how much twist put in? Always end up tweaking lines/halyard tension/travelor/outhaul etc.. Never totally happy with the main going up wind. Read the books.Watch what other folks do when crewing. find there are so many choices going up wind.Tweak- look a sog/vmg tweak some more.do others have the same addiction? drives the wife crazy "just sit already" lol
Quote:
drives the wife crazy "just sit already" lol
... you been spying on us??

I'm with you there.. to be honest I've always been more of a 'seat of the pants' type sailor than a technical trim/by the numbers guy. We learned to sail, as mentioned above, in a area blessed with strong winds but just a chop and rarely any serious wave action - near perfect training grounds (except for helming in a big sea....) Anyhow we're big believers in traveler usage, and I do tend to pull strings a lot, even now, and we rarely race anymore. The pressure on the helm and the heel angle are our 'dictates'. We'll suffer a fair bit of mainsail backwind if it's not slowing us down, but for a longer leg we'll reef, of course. Much of our sailing is either upwind or down, as the local topography tends to 'steer' the prevailing SE or NW winds along the straits and inlets.

Our boat really likes 'traveler down early' and I often think of when I read Buddy Melges' book where he says the sails need to 'breathe'..

Figuring out how to get a boat upwind makes those trips much more enjoyable than pounding under power into the slop and chop, saves fuel and provides long term gloating rights over those that can't be bothered.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 01-24-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook