SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why is this a bad idea?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Why is this a bad idea?

Chef, that was already in the plans if there was an existing ladder. I figured a board cut to the full width of the ladder would work (my plan was to use the white PVC "boards" they sell at Home Depot, since they are outdoor rated, and should be cooler than darker woods). Drill or cut a 1" notch/half hole in the middle of each end, and slide into place. Secure with the U-shaped clamps in your link, and voila.

But some of the boats I've looked at don't have a ladder. If I'm going to have to make/install something anyway, why not go with something like this? I agree about having to put a backing plate - a large piece of starboard should work. Of course, I'll need access to that area of the transom, but assuming that's available, are there any other down-sides?

One idea that struck me was that, if I was in rougher water, the force of the water on the swim platform might be significantly more than the force of my fairly substantial butt on that same platform. So, I'll need to make sure the transom is properly reinforced. A swim platform would also limit my ability to add an outboard on a proper outboard bracket, should one become desirable for some reason. But, if it's done properly, the platform could also serve as an emergency mounting bracket for an outboard.

So, what else am I missing?

By the way, I'm not entirely convinced that this is really what I want to do, just soliciting opinions.

Thanks!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook