SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why is this a bad idea?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Why is this a bad idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Chef, that was already in the plans if there was an existing ladder. I figured a board cut to the full width of the ladder would work (my plan was to use the white PVC "boards" they sell at Home Depot, since they are outdoor rated, and should be cooler than darker woods). Drill or cut a 1" notch/half hole in the middle of each end, and slide into place. Secure with the U-shaped clamps in your link, and voila.

But some of the boats I've looked at don't have a ladder. If I'm going to have to make/install something anyway, why not go with something like this? I agree about having to put a backing plate - a large piece of starboard should work. Of course, I'll need access to that area of the transom, but assuming that's available, are there any other down-sides?

One idea that struck me was that, if I was in rougher water, the force of the water on the swim platform might be significantly more than the force of my fairly substantial butt on that same platform. So, I'll need to make sure the transom is properly reinforced. A swim platform would also limit my ability to add an outboard on a proper outboard bracket, should one become desirable for some reason. But, if it's done properly, the platform could also serve as an emergency mounting bracket for an outboard.

So, what else am I missing?

By the way, I'm not entirely convinced that this is really what I want to do, just soliciting opinions.

Thanks!

Many sailboats with rear ladders also have a gate in the back so you dont have to go over the rail.

If you construct this Just make sure you have a way to get onto the platform which drops in the water as Faster said. Its hard to lift up or put you foot on your platform out of the water, especially with the stern bobbing up and down. Thats why the bootom two rungs of most ladders are under water out of the water

Another thing you could do is put a shoe and have a side ladder.

Side boarding boat ladder - BERMUDA-B - PRASOLUX, Peter Prass

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook