SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why is this a bad idea?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Why is this a bad idea?

Justflie, I actually DID make a rope ladder! Not out of manilla, but the red poly line from Harbor Freight. When my old boat was on blocks last winter, the first few times I visited the marina, I could get to the swim ladder and get aboard. Then one day, they moved a boat behind mine, close enough that I couldn't get to the swim ladder, and basically making entring from the transom very difficult. I couldn't fit a big enough step ladder into my car, so I made the rope ladder. I was able to scrounge enough stuff at the marina to reach up and attach the rope to a cleat, and then I could climb aboard.

I learned that the problem with "hull mounted" rope ladders is that when you put your weight on them, they press against the side of the hull, and the little rope "steps" just aren't wide enough to be useful. If you're lucky, you'll get the tips of your toes on each step. Don't get me wrong, they'll do in a pinch, but in my experience, they just aren't that practical. One thing I considered doing was adding wooden treads to give me more surface area to step on.

All that being said, a rope ladder could work if it hung off the swim platform.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jimgo; 01-25-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook