SailNet Community - View Single Post - Moorings on the Piscatiqua River?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road
Re: Moorings on the Piscatiqua River?

Hi, misfits.

Yep. That's where I am. I like that my dinghy ride is only about 100yds and well away from the current. My brother was (is?) looking at renting a mooring (privately owned) that is between the lift bridges. Seems to be a good location once he is on-board, but a helluva dinghy ride, like a mile and a half, and he needs to bring the dinghy back and forth in his vehicle. GCBC has a dinghy dock.

chefuno - the river is dredged to 35' until just above the entrance to Great Bay (under the Sullivan Br). It is also plenty deep well into Great Bay, but there's not much fun to be had for a large boat in the bay. You should be able to sneak under the Sullivan Br (you'll need some Valium*) but you'll be waiting for the lift bridges to get out on the big water.

The Piscataqua is not a perfect river for a sailboat, but I have ties to the area (I grew up in York, ME) and it really pleases me to be sailing the same water where my dad used to take us boating (he's a stinkpotter, but I still love him). I also rode submarines in the Navy, so cruising past the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard is pretty cool.

Ken

*I needed it and my air draft is 5' less.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook