SailNet Community - View Single Post - Very odd odor
Thread: Very odd odor
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road
Re: Very odd odor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientTech View Post
Sorry for the confusion, I was not bashing the old public school system. I was raised in the 70's and 80's system myself and enjoyed going to college while still in my 11th grade in the honors program. My personal opinion is that the school system has gone downhill a bit since then but there is still hope.

The redacted post contained a couple of joking points, one being the linked chart is for natural rubber only. Other types of rubber like cyano's, polyacry's and some fluo's will have a reaction to acetic acid. This would include many types of gloves, o-rings, gaskets, weatherized coatings, pipe insulation, coated organic plastics (like certain mounted wiring guides), flexible containers and the occasional coated surface of cheap cabinet liners =D
AncientTech...

No offense taken and I hope we had a good laugh over this... definitely not something to linger bad taste over...

That being said yes vinegar does pose many issues with materials and it's a good exercise to look at the materials we are going to spray and douse with vinegar or any other product on any parts in the boat or other uses... compatibility with any chemical even a benign product like vinegar or Clorox has it's dangers... here is another useful guide to vinegar and it's compatibility with other rubber/non rubber materials...

eFunda: O-Ring Materials Compatibile with Chemical Vinegar

Nick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook