SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cockpit Centric Sailing
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: Cockpit Centric Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWollard View Post
Let me preface this by saying I'm from Florida. I'm spoiled by warm tropical waters and warm weather.

That said...

Why are sailboats designed in such a cockpit centric manner? It seems like there is a lot of wasted deck space for lounging and enjoying the ride. I would love to see more designs use the deck in creative ways.

Sure there are some lines to navigate, but I have to believe a creative designer could add more comfortable seating without sacrificing performance.

What do you think?
I think you're right! Decks add a lot to a boat for me.

Old boats like ours often were given more deck space. More than cockpit size, the cost was volume below in a narrower cabin.

We use our side decks both sailing and at anchor. At anchor, side decks are often in the shade so we'll sit there using the cabin for a backrest. Not unusual that someone(s) is on a side deck on our boat while we're under sail.

Kids covered our decks over many miles of sailing, and the foredeck has always been their favorite spot to get away from the cockpit both at anchor and under sail. We appreciated that at times as much as they did.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merchants row P schooner.jpg (74.9 KB, 100 views)

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook