SailNet Community - View Single Post - Towed Generator that We Really Need
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Towed Generator that We Really Need

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
The problem with this type of combined system is that it would entail pretty significant compromises as either an outboard or a towed generator, or both. And frankly both systems independently are only moderately successful. Towed generators create a lot of drag and reduce speed significantly on cruising boats already, ough they do provide a lot of power when working. And electric outboards... Well the best I have heard an owner say about one was "meh" they work but aren't stellar performers.

I am afraid you would wind up with a system that is the same price as the two combined, but didn't perform half as well as the other options.
I think the issue of drag with a towed generator is often overstated, it certainly hasn't been significant for me, and I sail a boat only 25 feet on the waterline... On a larger boat of 40' or so, loaded for cruising, I would expect it would be barely noticeable in the bigger picture...

It's certainly an intriguing idea, but the main problem as I see it, is that the potential market for such a system is likely to be pitifully small... Two of the most notable trends I'm seeing these days, are the proliferation of portable Honda generators, and ever-larger SUV dinghies powered by 15-25 HP engines... I don't think I've EVER seen a Torqueedo in a place like the Bahamas, for example - they simply won't satisfy the demand that many of today's cruisers have to go far, and fast, in their tenders...

The only way for such a hybrid system to make sense, is when used in conjunction with a minimalist approach to energy consumption on board... Unfortunately, the modern trends are quite the opposite, with today's boats being fitted out with a wide array of power-hungry gear - bow thrusters, electric winches, full-time use of laptops for navigation, and so on...

And, bottom line, many people also spend a considerable amount of their time underway, under power, anyway... A LOT of people simply don't routinely use their boats in a way that really justifies such a system, seems to me...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 01-27-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook