SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trailer Brakes
Thread: Trailer Brakes
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Trailer Brakes

"MOST" boat trailers use surge, as they can go in the water, Electric generally speaking can not. Altho there are a few that can. Like the above poster, I prefer electric also. But properly setup, surge does work well. BUT, surge depends upon a strong braking TV to slow initially, then the trailer pushes a shock absorber for lack of better term, which then makes the brakes work. This is a hydraulic system vs electric.

Best might be an electric over hydraulic disk. I have not used one of these, but I have seen reviews of folks that like them

I have installed electric brakes on a trailer, replaced shoes etc, not a hard job. You need a square backing plate on the axle with 4 bolt holes in the corners. if you have this, you can install brakes. Parts can be found at most trailer supply places, possibly even a NAPA or equal. Figure the better part of a day to do this. I also have found, while legal to tow 3000 lbs in my state unbraked, it was a lot nicer being braked, and the brakes on my trucks lasted longer.

Marty