SailNet Community - View Single Post - Frozen rudder shaft Hinterhoeller 28
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013
Hinterhoeller HR28

pvanv1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Frozen rudder shaft Hinterhoeller 28

Rick,

The square key (it is not a woodruff) at the top of the bronze shaft was for the original rudder head. That was bolted to the original tiller head. Immediately below that was a 1/4" ss pin with cotters that rode against a large fiber thrust washer. That was all changed when the boat was converted to wheel. None of that gear holds the shaft up today; that's now accomplished at the lower bearing/gaiter/flange/tube assembly. As a long-time HR-28 owner, and having dropped my own rudder before, I am 100% sure of how the original tiller setup worked. The top aluminum ring (with the 4 bolts -- probably 3/16 ss -- is merely a trim plate -- nothing functional at all. Mine is teak (with bronze wood screws), and I still have the original tiller setup.

Bob Reese is definitely in Fla., and may well not remember conversions, but certainly well worth asking. Likewise, Don Finkle of RCR may remember some conversions. You can contact him via the RCR yachts website.

If you are unable to free the gland assembly while still on the shaft, you will need to cut it off the shaft -- being careful not to nick the shaft, of course. A small grinder, possibly a dremel, or ultimately a cold chisel may split it into 2 or more pieces. Later, you will want a new bearing/seal/gland that fits the rudder tube... or just replace the tube. The hull is solid laminate, and is easily machined as needed to accommodate a new flange is necessary.
Buffalo, NY USA

Last edited by pvanv1; 01-27-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook