SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Interesting Sailboats

I think that the discussion about the HR 412 (Edit-corrected typo) goes to the heart of much of the diversity of opinion about "What is a Blue water boat?".

While the hull form, structural capabilities and rig may be suitable for offshore cruising, (Edit for clarity-the three cabin version with) its interior layout, detailing, storage provisions, and so are clearly better suited to coastal cruising. To me that is perfectly acceptable as design offered to the public as long as that is how the company portrays the design in their own literature and statements.

But I also think, where these discussions begin to address the realities of boats like these, is that it also makes sense to have a model option which is biased more toward regular offshore use. Offshore bunks, compartments and openings should by necessity be smaller, and there should be solid footholds and handholds. Rigs need to be a little more robust, and carefully conceived and secure storage needs to take a higher priority.

And I contend that an offshore cruiser making three-four week hops in the Atlantic may not be the same boat as a distance voyaging yacht that crosses the vast open areas of the Pacific. Boats for circumnavigations and a Pacific crossing need to be far more independent and so place a much greater demand on carrying capacity, and storage volumes.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 01-28-2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Corrected typo on Boat model from 416 to 412 and added clarifying note..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook