SailNet Community - View Single Post - I love to learn the hard way!!!
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013

gamayun is on a distinguished road
Re: I love to learn the hard way!!!

Too bad this post didn't go anywhere the first time. Here's hoping that changes. It reminds me of a short story I read many MANY years ago about a group of doctors who would meet and talk about their patients who had died and what the doctors should have done better. One of them tells his story, receives this group fest of ideas and discussion, then runs back to the hospital -- his patient hadn't died yet.

The moral of the story is to keep the stories coming and maybe the rest of us can avoid getting into the same fixes, though I am positive we will all still have plenty of our own fubars. I take possession of my boat in 3 days time so I will also try to share the mistakes, provided they're not too embarrassing. Actually, now that I think about it, I do have one. It was when the sea trail was almost finished and we were taking down the sails. I had not touched the engine up to this point and wanted to make sure I knew the start up procedures (yes, I'm that new). The broker then told me that forward was in the down position. Needless to say, I turned the boat one way and it starts moving in the opposite direction. At least I got it by the time I docked later, which turned out pretty well. A friend tells me that in one near-panic situation during a docking, he engaged the engine in the wrong direction. I'm hoping that always sticks in my brain, especially during the frantic moments...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook