SailNet Community - View Single Post - Water Filteration
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road
Re: Water Filteration

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
NSF/FDA wants ALL potable municipal water filtered to 1,2µM (99.99%).
Rich... this is good news... regarding what we need to filter and insure we don't drink is beyond this forum... but here is a list of the contaminants allowed to be in municipal water whether natural occurring or introduced through other mechanisms...

Source: NSF

"All sources of drinking water contain some naturally occurring contaminants. At low levels, most of these contaminants are not considered by the EPA to be harmful. Naturally occurring contaminants include radon, radium, and arsenic. In addition, people, animals, and industry can also add contaminants to our water supplies. Some of the more common contaminants that can be introduced into our water supplies include microorganisms, pesticides, and nitrates.
Below is a list of many of the common contaminants that can be found in public and private drinking water supplies. In addition, we have also included several chemicals commonly used to treat our drinking water supplies. If you would like to see further information on a specific contaminant, please select that contaminant."

2,4,5-TP
2,4-D
Alachlor
Arsenic
Asbestos
Atrazine
Bacteria
Barium
Cadmium
Carbufuran
Chloramine
Chlordane
Chlorides
Chlorine
Chlorination By-Products
Chromium
Copper
Cryptosporidium
Cysts
Dibromochloropropane
Ethylene Dibromide
Fluoride
Hardness
Heptachlor Epoxide
Hydrogen Sulfide
Lead
Lindane
Mercury
Methoxychlor
MTBE
o-dichlorobenzene
Nitrate
Nitrite
Particulate Matter
PCB
Perchlorates
Radium
Radon
Selenium
Sodium
Sulfates
Styrene
Taste and Odor
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS)
Toxaphene
Trichloroethylene (TCE)
Trihalomethanes (TTHM)
Turbidity
Volatile Organic Chemicals (VOCs)
Xylenes
Zinc

Those that don't want to filter the water... Fine... I'll filter mine to the best of my ability!

Nick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook