SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2013 5th Annual Sailnet Chesapeake Rondevous- June 8, 2013

28K views 286 replies 43 participants last post by  xort 
#1 ·
As has been the tradition the last 5 years Donna and I would like to continue to host the 5th Annual Chesapeake Bay Sailnet Rondevous at the Maryland Yacht Club on Saturday June 8, 2013 at 6 PM. We enjoy organizing and contributing to the commradiere of the event and seeing old friends and meeting new ones. The Rondevous in the past has had from between 50-90 participants.

I know its early to start planning as some of us havent even winterized our boats for 2012, but I though it would be good to get the date solidified for the upcomming year.

The MYC has been a good location for Sailnetters to reach from the uppper and middle Chesapeake. We have a great protected anchorage in Rock Creek if you decide to come by boat, availability for slips at $2 a foot, and also easily accessed by land shouldn you not be able to make it a weekend here or are coming from Pa, NJ, DC or Virginia by car. One of the great advantages having it here is that you can participate by land or by sea.

We use the clubs Pavillion which is covered with a roof and has wind/ rain screens if needed and has over 25 picnic tables as well as 6 BBQ pits for the get together on Saturday night.

MYC has a pool and showers for those who take slips as well as a full fuel dock with pumpout should you need it. Electricity for the slip is right now $5.

This year we may add a BBQ cook off ( lots of smack being talked here) as well as an informal breakfast get together the next morning for thoise who didnt get to "talk" to everyone,

In the past we have been lucky to have had some of the moderators attend and hope that will also continue this year also,

Feel free to ask questions or sign up as early as you want as I am starting a list.

Mark the date on your calander!!!!!!!!!!

See less See more
#169 ·
will be great to see you guys. Well have to talk about meeting up in he Sound again in August if you'll be up there.

Dave

UOTE=xort;1037154]We have bad news...looks like we can attend.[/QUOTE]

#170 ·
Dave,

Does the $1.50/ft rate apply to members of reciprocal clubs, or is there a discount for those? (Sorry, have to ask. Not suggesting that $1.50 is a bad rate.)

My oldest son is flying in from Seattle to sail down with me. Lori will either come by car on Saturday or meet us in Chesapeake City Friday night. So we will have a total of three now.

What we bring is still up for discussion, since it depends on whether Lori brings something directly down on Saturday or has to use a cooler overnight on Friday. I'll get back to you in a couple days.

#171 · (Edited by Moderator)
No sweat Rick.
The 1.50 is a yacht club rate as we only accept transients who are members of yacht clubs or they are proposed by a club member. You are both:)
We have a 25 dollar rate if you are members of the four super clubs round us Baltimore YC, Kent Narrows YC, Ventnor YC and Chesapeake YC.

Will be great to see you and Lori again. Always good t o see you despite me being so prickly sometimes

#174 ·
Dave,

Definitely don't need the slip, still trying to wrap up repairs in the boatyard, which has kept me from doing the other stuff it needs.

We'll be coming by car. How about a dessert, Kathy is thinking something like brownies?

Boz

#178 ·
Rendezvous is in one week. Still waiting in a few for information concerning slips as well as possible food that you may be bringing.

Looks like a great turnout.

Just inn case it decide to briefly shower or we get some rain. The Pavilion is completely covered and has roll down canvas sides to protect us from what ever mother nature will throw at us. ( a great reason to have it at MYC)

So the get together is rain or shine. If it should look like a crazy weather weekend come by car anyway ( those who are bringing their vessels ) if its lousy out.

Just saying in case......:):):):)

#180 ·
We are also members of MYC, early arrivals can find us on "D" dock (same dock as chef2sail) or at the pool. Send a PM for my cell #

A reminder that we'll have a "sailors flea market" table set up in the evening, so bring anything you think you may want to sell/trade/or donate the sale to the hosts Dave & Donna for all the food/supplies they are providing. I suggest you put your items in a box with your name/screen name, at least thats what I am going to do :)

Kids are welcome, our two girls Elizabeth (8) and Olivia (6) would love to have some playmates around, anyone kids coming? The pavilion is also adjacent to the beach area.

We'll bring Orzo Pasta Salad and Lemon-Garlic Shrimp for the Bar B and whatever else I find that looks good.

Looking forward to meeting many new folks and seeing old friends.

#181 ·
Thanks Shawn for posting,

For those of you who may chefs spoil the kitchen we are living proof we can even be on the same dock together.

I wont tell your Chief Pocahontas secret??????;);):):)

#184 ·
I would say to check through the thread as people have responded in it. We will supply burgers and dogs, accompaniments, charcoal, plates napkins, cups. some have decided to bring desserts like cheesecake, brownies, green salad, pasta salad with shrimp, various salads. There is room for more of these as well. No one yet has done any fruit like watermelon or fruit salad. Plenty of room for your imagination:):):):)

Let us know what your thinking so we don't dup0licate exactly.

Dave

#185 ·
I've never made one of these, though I've always meant to. Figured this would be the year, but no--I'll be out west backpacking with friends this coming weekend. I really would like to meet some other Sailnetters! I'll have to shoot for the boat show in October. Here's hoping the rendezvous is a great time!

#187 ·
#190 ·
Dave, have you thought about a rain date? - Just in case the weather prognosticators are correct, which they rarely are. I checked two sources today, both of which put a 50% chance of rain Friday and Saturday, which means I'll probably drive down on Saturday instead of sailing down on Friday night and Saturday.

I'm in the process of printing the labels for the Kahlua I made last night, just over a gallon so I hope it's sufficient. Also picked up the fixings for some Green Coconut Margarettas - gotta keep Melissa and Sherry happy.

Gary :cool:

#191 ·
Gary, No rain date necessary. We sailors are a hearty lot:):)

The Pavilion where we will be has sides to it which can be rolled down to keep us dry if necessary creating a large dry area with tables which seats over 125. Right next to the parking lot.

This was one of the original reasons we have chose to have it at MYC, just in case the weather gods didn't shine on us, people could still get together, they may just come by car.

Weather right now looks hard to figure. This far out I would say it may shower T storm Friday with a chance on Saturday then clearing as the day goes on. Sunday looks great.

I will repost driving directions.

Dave

#192 ·
Ok much awaited directions by land-

Maryland Yacht Club
1500 Fairview Beach Road
Pasadena, MD 21122

By land:

From 95N/ 295N/97N North- Get off at Route 100 East- Gibson Island. Take about 6 miles (get to the left when it joins Route 10) and take 100 to first traffic light ( Magothy bridge Road).
Make a left on Magaothy Bridge and go 2 traffic lights (1.5 miles) to Fort Smallwood Road ( 7/11 of left). At Fort Smallwood Road bear right.

From 95 north of Baltimore- Take I95S to exit 64 B (695E) , first exit off to the right and take left fork East to the Key Bridge Dundalk. Go 13 miles...cross the Key bridge and get off at exit 1 (Quarentine Rd). Make a left off of the exit ramp. Go down two lights and make a left (Route 173E). Go about 6 miles...then 173 makes a right after the McDonalds...follow 173 through two traffic lights, when you pass Popoyees on right get in left lane as 173 turns left at the next traffic light ( It is now Fort Smallwood Road.) Follow straight 1 mile at next light ( 7/11 on your right continue straight and follow other directions.

From Annapolis- Route 50 - take 50E across Servern River bridge and get off at Route 2 Governor Ritchie Hwy ( exit right after crossing bridge). Stay left and you are on Ritchie HWY ( Route 2). Go 8 miles or so to Old Annapolis Road ( Route 648) and make a right. Go about 2 miles down 648 abd you will hit Magothy Bridge Road at the traffic light, go right. Go across Route 100 ( traffic light) and make a right 2 traffic lights later ( Fort Smallwood Road and follow other directions.

Directions for all:

Go about 3-4 miles ( You will pass a golf course, big sweeping curve to your left afterwards (dive bar on right) and you will come to Fairview beach Road on left ( Maryland Yacht Club Blue Sign on Road Post.). MYC is at end of deer filled and crossed road so dont speed to fast. After entering MYC, Pavillion is down the hill in front of you, please park by it and not in members parking spots if you can.

Dave

#194 ·
Looks like My friend Hank won't be coming. My girlfriend Pat will be though! She's learning to sail. We had a great day on the River today! Still bringing cheesecake!

Reactions: T37Chef
#199 ·
Dave, looks like life is getting in the way of a good time for me. We're 'downsizing' again and packing so movers may haul stuff to storage. Very likely I will be unable to attend this year, and if I do manage to squeeze the trip in, I'll just anchor out or arrive by auto. No need for a slip for Rhythm.

Wish you all a great time and hope I get to show up, but it's a long shot.

#203 ·
No problem Mike...we still hope you make it somehow.

Weather forecast sucks for Friday through Friday night, but should see clearing by Saturday morning with continued improvement throughout day so by 6 should be no problem. Sunday looks great.

Like I said previously should it rain we have a good roof over our heads and dry tables and chairs....and great food and camaraderie :)

Dave

#204 ·
We are about 3.5 to 4 hour motor up from Annapolis. You should see improving conditions on Saturday, but you never know. Either way it will be great to meet you guys

Will be great to see another C&C there:):):) You know we are the fast boats right ( Unless Jeff brings that Farr or Jim brings his Sabre)

Reactions: flyingjib
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.