SailNet Community - View Single Post - I love to learn the hard way!!!
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road
Re: I love to learn the hard way!!!

We decided to take the new to us boat for a test trail.
It was a beautiful August day. NOT a ripple on the water, literally. You could have drop a quarter and seen ripples for 50 feet. Zero wind; not even one knot. A truly freakish day. The fastest i've ever motored this boat.
We go out about 6 miles and go for a swim.

On the way back in; BANG! My transmission grenades! (didn't know it at the time) I was 4 miles out. My wife looks at me and says what do we do? It was about 2pm; i let her know the wind would pick-up right before sunset.
Lucky for me; my marina neighbor came by a half hour later and gave us a tow back with his Catalina 400. He happened to recognize me from a distance.

Lessons learned:
First - Never ever take anyones word for nothing, check it yourself. The transmission had "just been serviced"; 2 hours on motor. Discovered no fluid! My fault; should've checked.

Second - Don't call ahead to the Marina to ask for deck hands in case you need them for docking.
I felt like a rock star coming in. Camera's and video rolling as i had a truly roaring reception. I listened to this for the rest of the year.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook