SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which winch?
Thread: Which winch?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road
Re: Which winch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor View Post
Why replace? Are they that shot?
I have self tailing lewmars and they work fine. Easy to maintain. I would venture to say that some would say that Harkens are better.
If your mind is set on new winches call around to some big dealers. Some people are buying new boats and having them retrofitted at delivery with electric winches. I saw 2 Lewmar 46's for sale the other day for this very reason. Good price to.
Thanks, that's good to know. The guy who runs the rigging shop where I keep the boat did his winter inspection of everything and thinks they are on their way out. Two are old Arco winches, one a Maxwell (I think) and one a Lewmar. I haven't sailed the boat yet so I don't know how bad they actually are and will probably wait until after launch this season to take the plunge if necessary. But I wanted to get some feedback in the meantime.

Searching around the interwebs I've seen some discussions but they were all talking about the older models, of which most seemed to think that Harkens were particularly difficult to service.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook