SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battery Charger AC Wiring Question
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Battery Charger AC Wiring Question

Andrew, the ABYC code calls for a GFI within ten feet of the shore power connection. But as I said--there's no code that binds YOU as a recreational boat owner. ABYC binds builders. Now, if your insurance policy has any language about how modifications have to be made, it might reference ABYC or other codes. And since the charger says it should be plugged into a GFI protected source, again, if you don't do that you are violating the manufacturer's installation instructions, so you are placing yourself at risk. From your insurer, or from a general negligence suit if someone else gets zapped by it.

Tossing the safety warnings and "best practice" recommendations in order to save ten bucks? Feeedom of choice. Having been shocked by 120VAC, I'd spend the ten bucks or do without AC onboard. I don't care about "code" per se but I've learned it often reflects a lot of experience with accident and safety issues.

Wait till you come to grounding your AC equipment, and the questions of what to do with neutral versus ground.

Last edited by hellosailor; 01-27-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook