SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which winch?
Thread: Which winch?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Which winch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
I don't know exactly how old the winches are. The boat is an '86 and I'm the third owner. The PO only had it a few years so I'm guessing the original owner replaced some or all of the winches. Maybe one is original, I don't know. They are all self-tailing.
In that case, I'd need to be shown specifically how they are "worn out". The fact that they are from different manufacturers implies some or all are newer than the boat

Quote:
Are Andersens worth the extra cost? Is the SS better than chromed bronze?
In a word - yes. IMHO they are the best currently available. I thought they were a lot more expensive than the others but Schockt bought some recently and they weren't bad at all - very comparable. Still lots of money though - none of them are exactly cheap. Plain bronze would suit me but I have no time for chrome anything on a boat. As for aluminium, I've never understood the logic of them. If a little bit of weight is that important, leave a case of beer at home or go on a diet. S/S & bronze will last virtually forever and look good doing it. Chrome and aluminium not so much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook