SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired
View Single Post
post #14 of Old 01-28-2013
MikeOReilly

Re: Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired

Hi Grunfeld, my path parallels your plans. We bought a 1977 Rafiki-37 three years ago. She is very much along the lines of the boats you are considering (all good choices I would say). We purchased for slightly less than your budget, but will probably have added at least $15,000 in upgrades by the time we cut the dock lines in 2014. Whether these upgrades are fully necessary is, in part, a personal choice, but that's what we're doing.

So, while I think it is possible to do what you're planning with the budget you've set, I do think the odds are against you. There are excellent boats out there, and older ones are sometimes discounted only b/c they are old, but I think your odds of finding one that is ready to sail away for $50K, are unlikely.

With regard to surveyors, I'd be cautious about relying too heavily on their analysis. Even the best surveyors can miss lots of things. Good surveys can be a excellent source of info, but don't expect them to uncover all the problems.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome