SailNet Community - View Single Post - Blue Jacket 40 (new racer/cruiser)
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Re: Blue Jacket 40 (new racer/cruiser)

I too viewed the BJ40 at Strictly Sail. I really wanted to be impressed because I mostly like Island Packets and Bob's prior work. I also like most of what Tim did while at C&C. However, I have to say that the BJ40 was a bit underwhelming in person.

I was put off by the gelcoat imperfections I noticed while waiting in line to board. The dark blue hull had several "smudges" near the bow and the white boot stripe lines had areas where the blue from above was creeping in. Once on board, I found several small details such as fiberglass/epoxy dust in the ports that made me believe they rushed this boat from the factory to the show.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is a poor quality boat overall, but I had higher expectations given IP's reputation. I also understand that this is hull #1, so things should improve, but you would think that a "world debut" showing would have the boat in tip-top shape.

Without having any knowledge of how this boat sails yet, I'd probably take my money elsewhere if I had $350k-$400k to spend on a 40-ish foot cruiser.

I've got a few pictures showing some of the deck, cockpit and cabin details that I can post later if anyone is interested.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook