SailNet Community - View Single Post - Blue Jacket 40 (new racer/cruiser)
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Blue Jacket 40 (new racer/cruiser)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Having done my fair share of cruising, the boat didn't call to me. I liked it better then the IP but not quite as much as the T4000. But to give any critical analysis of the boat I'd have to spend a lot more time on it. I really appreciated the fact Jackett and Johnson were on board. If I had more time I'm sure I would have learned a lot more.

Nice job

Regarding comparing the Tartan 4000 with the BJ40 and if you talk only about the interior it is natural that the Tartan appeals more to cruising since it had a much bigger interior volume and has more space for everything.

The Tartan is a beamy boat with a smaller B/D ratio. The BJ is a moderately beam boat relying more on ballast than the Tartan in what regards stability.

This makes for two different boat in what regards sailing: The Tartan 4000 will sail with less heel and should be very steady running downwind. The BJ will point much better and will have a better performance upwind it will be more comfortable in a seaway (specially upwind) and will not be as stable going downwind even if the hull transom design will make it a lot more stable than older designs with narrow transoms.

I guess that one will chose the BJ over the Tartan not by the interior but because appreciates what the boat has to offer in what regards sailing and is willing to exchange that for a less voluminous interior, that even so, by your description, is a good cruising interior.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook