SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Dusseldorf's most impressive boat:

Ok, there was there some big boats, big Oysters and a big and nicer Contest but the boat that really impressed me was this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Take a look at this babie:

This boat looks so beautiful that one wonders if this is not going to be one of those very nice designs that never see the light of the day. The Project was announced some years ago and I thought that it was going to be the case.

I was wrong. They say the boat is going to be presented in Dusseldorf. Uau!!!!, I am not going to miss this one

The boat is not only beautiful as also its specifications are incredibly good in what concerns a seaworthy and incredibly powerful boat, one that uses a lifting torpedo keel that allows those performance while permitting a reasonable draft for cruising.

This is a Botin Carkeek & Partners 45ft design, the boat is made with carbon using infusion with mast and boom in carbon. It can have a variable draft (1.75 to 2.75 meters). Weight is only 8.0 tons, and almost half of it is on the ballast. It is a moderately beamed boat, much on the line of Italian performance boats.

SPECIFICATIONS
LOA 13.72 m
LWL 12.94 m
Bmax 4.15 m
Displacement - Lightship 8000 kgs
Draft (up/dwn) 1.75/2.75 m
Upwind Sail Area 122.1 m2
Downwind Sail Area 259.8 m2

This is not one of those adventure projects that are made by some very small and amateurish companies that make a prototype and die. This boat is being built by Premier Composite Technologies a big company specialized on top composite technologies in several sectors and with a lot of naval experience. They build for designers like Farr, Botin-Carkeek, Judel-Vrolijk, Jason Ker and Mark Mills. they have built the Landmark 43, the Ker 53, the JV40, the Farr 11ís and the Farr400. Maybe the reason that allows them to offer this boat to a very interesting price, about 500 000 Euros, is possibly related with the use of a big industrialized set up in what regards composites.

They say about the boat:

Premier Composite Technologies flagship model, the Premier 45, is a fast, high performance, short handed cruiser.

Designed by Botin-Carkeek, designers of the Team New Zealand TP52, the Premier 45 is built for speed with a carbon fibre and foam cored hull. Featuring a lifting keel and a modern, stylish - yet comfortable - interior, the Premier 45 is the ultimate cruising racer.

Generous upwind and downwind sail area provide the horsepower for class leading performance whilst low displacement and wetted surface area ensure the Premier 45 is easily driven whatever the conditions. The hull design has been developed to excel in downwind conditions and maintain stable handling in waves when further offshore. Carefully optimized foil designs mean the Premier 45 tacks swiftly and maintains excellent low speed manoeuvrability during the pre-start.

Premier Composite Technologies has succeeded in combining a true racing pedigree with all the practicalities required for a great short handed cruising yacht.

45ft and the same weight as my 41, that is not heavy, well, its just great but its was not only that but a good finish and an interior that really permits cruising, in fact a nice one even if that huge saloon, with good holdings on the cabin top has a galley where it would be impossible to work on with the boat on the wrong tack. Well, you can always change tack for cooking

Anyway the boat has a lifting keel, very well integrated on the boat and a draft with the keel up of only 1.75m. It as also a storage adequate for cruising including tankage, Howw!!! That would be like a sea autocaravan that in fact is a Ferrari.

Just beautiful, I would like very much to get a ride on that boat that certainly has an awesome pointing ability and one that will make going against the wind almost as fast as the speed many cruisers are able to do downwind, I don't mean fast ones, just old ones

Some pictures of the boat at the boatshow:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook