SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Talking Southerly 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantshores View Post
Hi Daviid & Paulo,

I haven't heard people criticize the lack of storage for fenders before - but I totally agree. Our latest boat - Southerly 49 has a large forward "sail" locker but we use it mainly for fenders. When we put to sea we have no fenders out on deck - and we carry a lot of fenders! 4 very large tube fenders, 4 large tubes and 2 smaller. All stowed in the locker.

Our current boat is a Southerly 49 - a "swing-keel" sailboat that draws less than 3 feet with the keel up. This summer we took the mast down and went right across France via the Seine, Paris and the small locks to the Med - 179 locks in all.

However she is also a good offshore sailing boat and also this past fall we took part in the ARC Rally for Cruisers crossing the Atlantic in just 15.5 days. With the keel all the way down we draw 10'4". The keel weighs in at a hefty 2,000kg so she sails quite well upwind. For the tradewind crossing with the ARC we swung the keel much of the way up. Then the boat really likes going downwind since the center of lateral resistance moves aft as you swing up the keel. I think we were one of the very few boats in the ARC that could do both the French canals and a transatlantic passage in 15,5 days... but I'm biased

Paul Shard
SV Distant Shores II - Southerly 49 Swing-keel
Distant Shores II
Thanks for the nice pictures. Well, it seems that we are already two. My boat as a forward sail locker too and I also prefer to keep the fenders there.

Certainly not many boats can go fast and have the ability to do the French canals or to be beached but among the regulars of this thread you have at least three with boats that can do that: Anders that has an Opium 39, Eric that has a Pogo 12.50 and hannah that is waiting for a Boreal 44

I find the Southerly 49 a very beautiful boat and one that manages perfectly to integrate the height needed for the deck saloon in an overall elegant line.

A great design by Rob Humphreys, one of the better, a design that has already some years and looks as contemporary as when it was launched.

He says about the boat:

The design brief was very specific – to build a powerful, sleek and stunning yacht, with blue water cruising capabilities, for continuous long distance sailing, around the world. Shallow draft was an essential feature. The ‘easy to handle’ sailing characteristics of the Southerly 42RST were necessary, but on a longer waterline length for fast ocean passage making.

Humphreys Yacht Design was responsible for the design of the hull, rig, keel and sail plan. This blue water cruiser offers the latest thinking in cruising yacht design. The hull is characterised by a long waterline, fine entry and beam carried aft to ensure the highest degree of performance, stability and safety. The Southerly 49 is primarily designed for a high cruising specification, with easy handling, and can be sailed by just two people.

As with all Southerly’s, the semi balanced twin rudders give instantly responsive steering and precise directional stability.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook