SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hell Gate
Thread: Hell Gate
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Hell Gate

broke-
I was in that situation once. "If I get delayed and hit those 5 kts at the Gate, can I control the boat if my max hull speed is 7 kts? " Skipper was delayed at work, we missed the slack and spent a couple of hours in full racing trim making siz knots through the water and about 100 yards over ground.
So either you "heave to" that way, or you duck into one of the many amchorages shown on the charts, starting with Little Bay out under the Throgg's Neck Bridge. There are many places designated as anchorages in the far western sound, one purpose of them is as holding areas for traffic that need to time the HG. Most are usually near empty or empty, and if the chart says "Foul bottom" you may want to think twice before tossing an anchor into it.
The west channel of the East River is the primary one, the lower bridge clearance in the east channel is only 40' and they're not going to raise it for you unless the west channel is closed. There's some nonsense with hydrogenerators being tested in the west channel, if one is being pulled or lowered it might be closed, that should be scheduled ahead of time.

As for Hussar Gold...The Army undermined the entire HellGate area, blew up a couple of small islands that no longer exist, lowered the bed of the entire river about ten feet in that area. At the time it was the biggest explosion ever. Whatever might have been on the river bottom, it is unlikely anyone will ever find any trace of it. Folks go through HG today and wonder about the name. Well, it hasn't really been The Hell Gate in nearly 100 years now.

Back then, no ecological studies, no waffling around, just "Hey, we can fix this" and BOOM they did.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook