SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Prolly time for me to introduce myself...

3K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  drsutton 
#1 · (Edited)
After 1,000 posts and one near banning, it is probably time that I take the opportunity to introduce myself.

I like sailing. In fact, I may have a sailing problem. It has been an obsession of mine since my youth, when my father unwittingly introduced his family to the new MacGregor Venture 24 he foolishly bought during a midlife crises. He pulled his eldest son (me) out of his regularly-scheduled third grade classes in order to take him sailing on the Potomac River out of Fort Washington marina. Eager to miss school, I instantly fell in love with sailing and sailboats and have been smitten every since. I even love the smell of fiberglass resin (in the morning). Only in moderation.

For the past 42 years, intermittently, I have sailed, I have raced, I have cruised, I have repaired, and now I have wasted countless hours on a sailing forum.

Don't ignore me or act all elitist and ****zel. I need to be warmly welcomed and reassured that you are all salt of the earth, just like me, or I might quit by firing off one-last-tell-everyone-off and/or crybaby criticism of this forum.:D

#4 ·
He is like a LOT of us, still working his way up to that vaulted 1% layer...hahahaha!! And we won't hold the lawyer thing against you, for sure.

Welcome aboard, old timer.

And the family too, it is your job to snag your third grader (you got a year or two to prepare) out for a grand time on the boat.

Fair winds, James and crew.

#8 ·
Don't ignore me or act all elitist and ****zel. I need to be warmly welcomed and reassured that you are all salt of the earth, just like me, or I might quit by firing off one-last-tell-everyone-off and/or crybaby criticism of this forum.:D
Ok, PROLLY is NOT a freaking word. It makes one sound dumber than a pound of dung when using it... The word is PROBABLY......

I aint gunna reed postses like this no more.... ;)

Oh yeah welcome...

How's that for a typical SN welcome...:D:D:D:D:D

#14 ·
..Tain't no elitists here, so don't feel like you been dissed, ya know what I sayin?
Nonsense. I'm as elite as them come. No one even wants to meet me, not that I would even dream of allowing it :) . (well I think C2S did, but sort of reluctantly :) )

The heck with welcoming the plebes. They're lucky to be in our presence.

Elitist would make a good boat name. :D

#33 ·
Soon to be 79 years old, I was introduced to sailing at age 15 crewing on a Lightening. Five boats later and 100's of blunders and mistakes my current baby is a Helms 27. She is by far one of the nicest and sweetest sailboats I've ever owned. She is docked at Lake Norman North Carolina where most of my sailing takes place. Off shore crusing the SE coast has been replaced by quiet nights in a cove sharing dinner and a bottle of wine with my wife which only adds to the magic that has filled my life at the helm.

#34 ·
Fort Washington Marina...

Spent my first night on my new to me boat there....

Picked it up at the air force base marina just up the creek and took my maiden vovage down the Potomac without a paddle, (or gps, or vhs, or a good running motor)

Did have a chart though ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.