SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hell Gate
Thread: Hell Gate
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013

genieskip is on a distinguished road
Re: Hell Gate

Eldrige is your friend.I have been going around Manhattan, from the Hudson R to New England and Nova Scotia every year for more than a decade. Look up the high and low water times at the Battery and then go to the pages that show the current, with speed arrows and numbers indexed back to the Battery times. Remember that the high and low water water times are not the same as the flood and ebb current times. Threw me for a loop the first time I rounded. I usually prefer the sleigh ride going through with current going with me. Have topped 14 kts SOG and it is fun going by the cars on the East River Drive when they are slowed to a crawl and you are speeding by, thinking back on all the times I was in their shoes. I have also gone through with the tide going against me and making all of 2 kts or so SOG.

Note that the times for ebb and flow on the East and Hudson Rivers differ. If you study Eldrige carefully, and time it just right, you can have fair current all the way around the Island. I also agree the the area under the bridges between Manhattan and Brooklyn is more of a "white knuckles" part of the trip than Hells Gate. Those ferries go like bats out of hell and the amount of traffic is unbelievable. Don't try it at night until you've done it a couple of times.

Last edited by genieskip; 01-28-2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: remembered something to add.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook