SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can someone explain roach to me?
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Can someone explain roach to me?

Roach DOES make more sail area. My maxed out per phrf main is 195#, vs 180 for the basic supplied main, actual triangle measure is 161 sq ft.

So orach to a degree, and maybe at one time was a rule beater, but now, you have to measure the foot, luff, pluse the measure from luff to the back edge of the main af the half, 3/4 and 7/8 of the way to the top IIRC, so that the total roach amount gets included. If you go over a certain % of the base foretriangle, you get penalized, ie need to go faster to finish. If my main was around 100#, I would get a 3 sec penalty per mile, so instead of a 192, I would be a 189 in phrf speak. I could go bigger yet, and get more deducts too......some classes this extra is built into the base ratings. If one wer to go smaller, say 180 as I was, I get a 3 sec credit, and was a 195 with the smaller main.

The same happens with jib/genoa and spin sizes too, while you can go bigger per say, you may take a hit faster from the base if you go too large, or go smaller, you get credits. Many times the credits frankly are not in the end worth taking. As you go double or triple or more the miles per second credit you get. Fixed props are this way, the 9 or 12 sec credit vs a folder is not worth it if you race frequently! you gain 20-30 secs a mile with a folder vs a fixed.

Marty