SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road
Re: Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired

I certainly have some experience in this area. It's common knowledge among sailors that all boats need work, and that's a given. But boats of that age, an in your price an size range, will need major, critical systems updated or replaced. This is what is probably referred to as being "tired" as far as boat condition goes. It will not be much fun at all going cruising on boat where engine, rigging, electrical and other systems are ticking time-bombs getting close to going off. If tackling the updates on these types of systems (and doing the work yourself) isn't what you would look forward to in boat ownership, then you probably need to adjust either the size or your budget in order to find something adequate.

For myself, I really like designing and installing the various systems on the boat. I like knowing what's there, knowing that it's done well, and if it's not done well, knowing that I don't have anyone else to blame but me. Since I bought the boat in late '06, I've either refurbished or replaced nearly every system on the boat. Truth is though, if I would have spent more money on a boat 10-15 years newer, I still would have likely went through the process of replacing and restoring, just to bring things up to date and make the system one of my design. So it didn't matter, within reason, how old the boat was, I was going to mess with stuff no matter what.

I think that's the main thing you have to decide, whether doing these types of system upgrades would be something you look forward to, at least to some extant, or whether it would just be torture, keeping you from your next destination.
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Argyle38; 01-28-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook