SailNet Community - View Single Post - Run down by a Tug or Barge
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: Run down by a Tug or Barge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
We had a similar incident in Vancouver several years ago - in the dark after a summertime floating fireworks display. As cool as it is to watch fireworks this way, with the congestion, the dark, the inebriates the harbour is an insane zoo for an hour or two in the aftermath.

A 30-something power vessel ran into/got pulled under by a tug and tow coming out of a tidal narrows at the harbour entrance. Never saw the final analysis of that one, but it can happen pretty easily. I agree that for the most part the pros have those situations well in hand... but I'm sure there are exceptions too.
here is the report

Quote:
The tug Jose Narvaez was outbound from Vancouver harbour, at night, towing the coal-laden barge Texada B.C. on a 274 m cable towline. The operator of the pleasure craft Sunboy did not realize that they were approaching a tug/tow combination and passed between the tug and the barge. The propellers of the Sunboy became fouled in the towline, and the pleasure craft was struck by the on-coming barge, and capsized. As a result, some people were thrown into the water and others were trapped within the vessel's enclosed spaces. Of the 14 people who had been on board the Sunboy, nine were rescued and survived, four drowned and one remains missing and is presumed drowned.
Transportation Safety Board | Home

Some interesting findings in this one.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook