SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantshores View Post
I didn't know the Pogo could dry out, interesting. There were Pogos in the ARC and they were quite quick although I don't know if they were liftkeel versions.

Paul
In theory, every Pogo with a swinging keel should be able to dry out, the lifted keel and the twin rudders providing a perfectly stable basis.
But this is not a good idea, because both rudders and keel are built in composite. Their surface is all vinylester/glassfibre/PVC foam core, also around the lead ballast, and carefully faired to racing standards.
Unlike iron cast keels where you only risk the paint, if the boats sits on a rock or any other scraping surface, at least the gelcoat of the leading edge of the keel will be damaged and that would really be a shame. Also for the bottom edge of the rudders.

Referring to earlier posts, I very much agree that a separate, waterproof compartment around the rudder stock(s) is an important offshore safety feature. Even more with twin rudders, since these are much more vulnerable without the protection of the keel (cfr. the UFO damage on Tanguy De Lamotte’s Initiatives Coeur in the Vendée Globe).
And a serious “crash box” in the bow, which we only use to stow light fenders and warps instead of heavy sails.

In my opinion, adequate stowage is not only a comfort issue but also has important safety implications (cfr. the earlier issue about a readily available boarding ladder in an emergency).
On our boat the starboard aft “cabin” is dedicated to technical hardware (fuel tank, autopilot, hot water bulb, battery charger, heating, etc.) and stowing. Quite huge, even with all the sails in there (spinnaker, code 0, staysail), life jackets, grab bag, dehumidifier, spares and all other kinds of equipment, there is still more than enough space to sleep a big (bad ) child.

But my point is: this “cabin” is only accessible through the heads compartment. And believe me, this makes pushing and pulling a spinnaker or even a (very heavy Dacron) staysail in and out quite a job. And the unrolling/wetted toilet paper systematically ruins the very last bit of fun with this maneuver .

Making this huge stowing space also accessible from the cockpit through a nice, wide hatch in the cockpit seat would of course make life very much easier.
Why not? Structures will not discuss about this: it’s unsafe, so we won’t do it.

What’s your opinion?

Kind regards,

Eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook