SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbe with no experience buys big boat
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Try sailing, perhaps? (grin)

Now, I've never sailed a Downeaster 38, though I did run a 45 south many years ago... While she certainly was not a stellar performer under sail, I do believe she would have been capable of clawing off a lee shore in most any conditions that that an engine would have been able to do so...
Jon: The issue that day was big swells knocking me backwards. The Serenity was full-keel of course but I could not sail close to the wind at all because both the wind and the swells were perpendicular to the coast. If you've tried to close-haul a Downeaster at sea directly against large, steep swells, you know what I'm talking about: the swells rob the boat of forward momentum and actually push you backwards across the bottom. I don't know exactly how far off I was, but I estimate my bow was fully 70-degrees off the wind and I could not make any progress away from the coast. If I came up, I lost rudder control. If I fell off, the wind pushed me toward the coast faster. Maybe someone with a lot of sail trim know-how could have (alone!) configured that boat to claw off, but I couldn't see how to do it. I needed to get the engine back.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook