SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post
Referring to earlier posts, I very much agree that a separate, waterproof compartment around the rudder stock(s) is an important offshore safety feature. Even more with twin rudders, since these are much more vulnerable without the protection of the keel (cfr. the UFO damage on Tanguy De Lamotte’s Initiatives Coeur in the Vendée Globe).
And a serious “crash box” in the bow, which we only use to stow light fenders and warps instead of heavy sails.

In my opinion, adequate stowage is not only a comfort issue but also has important safety implications (cfr. the earlier issue about a readily available boarding ladder in an emergency).
On our boat the starboard aft “cabin” is dedicated to technical hardware (fuel tank, autopilot, hot water bulb, battery charger, heating, etc.) and stowing. Quite huge, even with all the sails in there (spinnaker, code 0, staysail), life jackets, grab bag, dehumidifier, spares and all other kinds of equipment, there is still more than enough space to sleep a big (bad ) child.

But my point is: this “cabin” is only accessible through the heads compartment. And believe me, this makes pushing and pulling a spinnaker or even a (very heavy Dacron) staysail in and out quite a job. And the unrolling/wetted toilet paper systematically ruins the very last bit of fun with this maneuver .

Making this huge stowing space also accessible from the cockpit through a nice, wide hatch in the cockpit seat would of course make life very much easier.
Why not? Structures will not discuss about this: it’s unsafe, so we won’t do it.

What’s your opinion?

Kind regards,

Eric
Yes and no

Yes regarding the front crash box. I have also one on my boat, or two, since the first bulkhead for the anchor locker and the second one for the sail locker are both waterproof and yes, it is also an important safety feature.

Yes and no for the rudders. For me in what regards safety the best type is your type of rudders, I mean two but with a safety device that swings them if they hit an object.

That is true that they have the disadvantage of being more exposed without the keel protection and that is a disadvantage. But today on performance cruisers (and even on modern cruisers) the rudders are so deep that they have almost the same length of the keel to the point that I am always very cautious when mooring the boat med style on small med ports. The transom stays near the wall and I can have depth for the keel and not for the rudder.

Also if you damage one, or have any problem with it, you still have the other. you will only able to sail to one tack (maybe even able to sail slowly to the other one) but will be able to motor the boat.

Regarding lockers that open to the interior of a big storage space and in the case of your boat it is really big: No....and yes. Having a cockpit looker opening to the interior of all the boat, no. I agree that would be dangerous but you can subdivide that technical/storage space making a water proof bulkhead and having it accessible from the outside, I mean, a relatively big locker isolated from the rest of the boat. Of course for big I don't mean the full side of your storage/technical space but just a fraction of it.

Other sportive boats use big waterproof hatches (the same type you have on the cockpit of your boat) that can be open and closed from outside and that allow the access to lockers.

There is always a way of solving problems...but it is expensive specially if they had not previewed that from the beginning. They would have to make new moldings for that part of the boat.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook