SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do you add (to improve) your bottom paint?
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you add (to improve) your bottom paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I am personally of the opinion that the pain manufacturers that spend millions a year researching bottom paint are probably doing a better job of it than I would. So I just follow the directions. Every now and then I have added a few flys, a mosquito or two, and once a cockroach to the mix however.
Geez! You guys are no fun! I'm definitely going to add something to mine in the name of science and research. Maybe the placenta of a virgin, the eyes of a blind newt or a hairball from my cat "Demon".

As for the millions in research, there is actually a scientific journal by the name of "Biofouling" The journal of bioadhesion and biofilm research. Really. Biofilm

Here is a good article from the lay press on some of the newer additives:
Monitor: Reducing the barnacle bill | The Economist

I love that the University of Texas was researching an additive made from cannabis derived THC and Cayenne. What a great use of your research dollars. Perhaps the barnacles got really hungry and ate too much cayenne?

In all seriousness though the research for Ivermectin looks pretty good to me. See for yourself:
Multi-seasonal barnacle (Balanus improvisus) prot... [Biofouling. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

A coating that prevents barnacles forming colonies - University of Gothenburg, Sweden

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...41642243,d.cGE

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook