SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbe with no experience buys big boat
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Thanks Argyle. You're right, there were lots of ways water could get into the core besides the hull-deck joint. I had already re-beded the teak caprails in late 2001 - after I put the screws back I filled the holes with epoxy & graphite - nice and black, looked salty, but a really, really dumb thing to do. Would have been hell to get those caprails off again.

The water off that part of Cedros was far too deep to anchor. Very rocky too. The only windage item on deck was the dink, and I wasn't about to toss that over! There weren't any jerrycans, bicycles and the usual stuff cruisers put on deck - I expected the Baja Bash to be tough going and be usually close hauled. What was stopping me were the swells - I remember them as high, steep, and close together - each one seemed to push me closer to the rocks, so that even though I was pointed maybe 30 degrees off the shoreline (60 off the wind) the swells (and leeway) were pushing me ashore slightly faster than the sailing was taking me away. It "felt" like I was sailing away from the rocks, but my trusty Garmin told another story - my track was taking me closer.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook