SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!
View Single Post
post #513 of Old 01-29-2013
No more curry buffets
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

They offer them for $27 direct from there store.

SOLAR POWERED ROOF VENT (Round Base) - SolarSales

I know nothing about the company but happened to go to there website to see if they had anything else useful.
You can't just use a lithium battery. Do they not have a battery at all in them now? There would be some circuitry you would need to add a battery to them. There are some that have a battery already, here is one example but it does yellow in the sun and the motors are pretty weak.

Wel-Bilt Solar Vent | Ventilation| Northern Tool + Equipment
After I got them on eBay (made an offer for $25 plus shipping) I found them in other places as well, by the time you add shipping, it all ended up about the same. I was pretty excited to have found the things on eBay, so I went ahead and got 'em. To reiterate, these are EXACTLY what has been on the boat since I think maybe 2006. With this in mind, I think they are a good choice, as fitment will not be an issue at all.

As part of the marinizing of them, I will take them apart and paint them white with Krylon or something like a previous owner did with the previous set. They currently have no battery, but a poster in the Solar vent repair thread suggested NiCad or NimH instead of lithium, and that a diode to prevent the batteries from discharging into the cell would be advised. Now I plan to get a set of 4 AAA batts for each fan, install them serial/parallel so that they end up at 2.4V, but double the maH capacity from a single pair.

Cheapskateness sometimes isn't as cheap as it first appears, but for me it is also the sport that makes it fun.

Bashing about on Lake Ontario and Beyond
"Ariel" '79 Endeavour 32
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome